The general surgeons at The Scarborough Hospital (TSH) provide a wide range of vital services across both the General and Birchmount campuses to offer high-quality care for all patients in our community.
While the general surgeons at TSH support all departments, a major focus of this sub-specialty is on cancer care. The Division of General Surgery takes immense pride in providing personalized and timely care for all types of cancer.
- Breast cancer – we provide surgical treatment for breast cancer. We work closely with our oncologists for integrated breast cancer care, and with our hospital’s plastic surgeons to provide options of immediate breast reconstruction for maximizing cosmetic outcomes. The general surgeons also provide prevention and detection services for average and high risk women (mammography).
- Colon and stomach cancer – we remove cancers of the abdomen, including colorectal and stomach cancer, by surgical excision, and perform leading-edge laparoscopic and regular open surgeries. Colonoscopy for screening and prevention of colon cancer is one of our strengths.
- Thyroid cancer – we provide excision of thyroid cancers.
In addition to cancer care, the Division of General Surgery supports a variety of surgical areas, including:
- Simple and complex hernias in many sites of the body, providing both laparoscopic and open surgery for hernia repair
- Benign breast disease
- Hemorrhoids, fissures, abscesses, fistulas and other colorectal issues
- Gastrointestinal emergencies, including 24/7 coverage of both Emergency Departments for patients with appendicitis, bowel perforations and obstructions