Prenatal Class Options – Group Prenatal Classes
Group prenatal classes consist of a series of classes or a one day, small group class, focusing on what to expect in labour and the postpartum period. Information and skills learned include:
- Labour and Birth
- Pre-term labour
- When to leave for the hospital
- When to call your midwife
- The stages of labour and birth
- Comfort measures including movement/positions and breathing techniques
- Medical options
- Pain management and coping
- Mother’s physical recovery
- Adjustment to parenthood
- Postpartum blues and depression
- How father/partner can help mother
- Basic care
- Skin to skin contact
- Bathing and diapering
- Breastfeeding basics
- Resources/help for expectant and new parents
This is the perfect forum to ask questions, discuss concerns and share ideas, fears, joy and your experience with other expectant parents. A tour of the birthing unit is included.
The cost for these classes range from $105 to $150 (taxes included), and includes father/partner or support person. Please wear casual and comfortable clothing, (pants instead of skirt or dress, if possible).
Prenatal Class Options – Private Prenatal Classes
Private classes are very popular for those with busy schedules who cannot attend an extended series of prenatal classes, or for expectant parents looking for a customized class covering topics to meet their specific needs.
Private classes are held in the comfort of your own home and are scheduled either on a weekday or a Saturday at your convenience. You may choose a prenatal class that covers the same topics as our group series, or you may customize your private class by choosing the topics you would like to have covered.
Prenatal Class Options – Online Prenatal Classes
Our innovative Childbirth eClass is a unique online learning experience that provides comprehensive, evidence-based information you can trust as you prepare for your upcoming birth.
- Are you on bed rest?
- Do you need a flexible class schedule?
- Have you given birth before and are looking for a refresher class?
- Want to review or supplement information covered in your group or private class?
If you answered yes to any of these questions then this is the class for you.
From the comfort of your own home, you’ll learn all about your changing pregnant body, how to distinguish true from false labour, when to call your caregiver, the natural birth process and how your partner can help you through it, medical options, the postpartum period, adjustment to parenthood, newborn care, feeding… and so much more.
Instructive video clips, animations, and interactive games make for a fun and engaging learning experience. You’ll also get a sense of what labour is really like as you watch several complete birth stories, and you’ll even have an opportunity to create your own birth plan!
Included in this eClass:
- A personal connection with an experienced Certified Childbirth Educator to answer questions, offer tips and information about community resources and services.
- A tour of The Scarborough Hospital’s Maternal Newborn unit, guided by your Certified Childbirth Educator.
Cost: $130 for 12-week access.