The Scarborough Hospital (TSH) welcomes the endorsement of the report of the Scarborough-Durham Expert Panel made today by Minister of Health and Long-Term Care, Dr. Eric Hoskins. The Minister supported the implementation of all the Panel’s recommendations. In Scarborough, the implementation of the recommendations will:
- Create an integrated hospital system under one corporation and one Board of Directors to oversee the three Scarborough hospital sites;
- Develop a facility Master Plan for a new, comprehensive acute care hospital in Scarborough; and
- Make short- and medium-term capital investments to ensure that existing facilities continue to support quality patient care until new hospital facilities are built in Scarborough.
The three hospital facilities located in Scarborough will be integrated into one hospital system, specifically TSH’s General site (located at McCowan/Lawrence), TSH’s Birchmount site (located at Birchmount/Finch), and Rouge Valley Health System’s (RVHS) Centenary site (located at Neilson/ Ellesmere). In Durham, the Rouge Valley Ajax site will be realigned with Lakeridge Health.
Minister Hoskins also announced:
- A capital funding grant of $20 million to better integrate and expand diagnostic imaging services at TSH’s General site. This important investment will provide a better patient experience through improved access to much needed diagnostic services.
- Up to $5 million for a planning grant to develop the facility Master Plans for the Scarborough and Durham region hospitals.
“Today, Minister Hoskins has set forward a bright future for health care in Scarborough,” said Robert Biron, President and CEO, TSH. “We now have a comprehensive roadmap that will see the development of a single master plan for the three Scarborough hospitals, including the modernization of our facilities so that we can better serve our community.”
To oversee the implementation of the directions, Minister Hoskins appointed Mr. Mark Rochon as a special advisor to the Minister to work with the three hospitals affected by the announcement – The Scarborough Hospital, Rouge Valley Health System, and Lakeridge Health. Mr. Rochon brings extensive experience in health system design, planning, and governance.
“We thank Dr. Hoskins for his careful and thoughtful review of the Expert Panel’s report and recommendations and for putting the needs of patients first in his decision-making,” said Janet Dalicandro, Chair, TSH Board of Directors. “We look forward to continue working with special advisor Mr. Rochon, Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care, Central East LHIN, the Scarborough community, and our colleagues at Rouge Valley Health System and Lakeridge Health to build a stronger, fully integrated hospital system for Scarborough’s residents, hospital staff, and physicians.”