The Scarborough Hospital (TSH) has launched a planning process to renew its strategic and clinical directions plans. TSH is calling this process “Forward Together: Building a Healthier Scarborough.”
“The words ‘forward together’ acknowledge that the hospital’s many past successes were only possible by a collective team effort,” says Robert Biron, President and CEO, TSH, “and it is this collaborative spirit that will define our approach and solutions for the future.”
Five years ago, TSH launched a strategic plan, an exceptionally important roadmap for the organization and a significant undertaking that included a new Mission, Vision and Values. Building on this achievement, two years later, TSH launched its Clinical Action Plan (CAP), which identified investment priorities in clinical services based on the changing needs of our community, while also incorporating the ‘ideal patient experience’ into every aspect of our work.
Since 2009, these plans have guided TSH’s daily activities and priorities, which have led to exceptional outcomes, innovations and awards for the hospital. Some of the many notable examples include:
- A Chronic Disease Prevention Model that is helping to direct care in our Diabetes, Chronic Kidney Disease, Home Dialysis and Medicine programs;
- A comprehensive Hospitalist Model for all acute adult inpatient units at both campuses;
- An Exemplary Status rating from Accreditation Canada in 2013;
- Achieving the lowest overall Emergency Department wait times among hospitals in the Greater Toronto Area;
- Outstanding obstetrics outcomes, both among our peer hospitals and province-wide;
- A diversity framework and action plan that responded to the needs of our diverse community, including the opening of our innovative “Global Community Resource Centre”; and,
- Consecutive Quality Healthcare Workplace Awards from the Ontario Hospital Association and the Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care, which recognizes our sustained focus on a healthy workplace, patient safety and quality of care.
“It is clear that we have a strong foundation from which to build an exciting future for our hospital and local health care system. This strategic planning process will allow us to proactively create a clear, long- term path forward,” says Janet Dalicandro, Chair, TSH Board of Directors. “Our health care system is constantly changing. It must adapt to changes in population needs, fiscal constraints, new technologies, research findings and highly informed and engaged consumers. While these are daunting challenges, they provide real opportunities to take creative and bold steps in redefining how we deliver health services to our diverse community.”
In the spirit of ongoing engagement, TSH will be reaching out to all of its key stakeholders throughout this planning process – including staff, physicians, the TSH Foundation, volunteers, patients, provider partners and our community. In the coming weeks, there will be many opportunities for people to get involved, participate in this collaborative process and have their say.
“This is an equally challenging and exciting time for our hospital,” says Robert. “I look forward to working with everyone as we chart the next phase of TSH’s future together and work towards building a healthier Scarborough.”