Patients and visitors can breathe easy with the knowledge that The Scarborough Hospital (TSH) has been committed to providing a healthy, smoke-free environment since 2010. Smoking is not permitted anywhere on hospital property, inside or outside, at the General and Birchmount campuses.
TSH security staff will be enforcing its Smoke-Free Policy more actively beginning on Monday, May 18.
What does this mean to you?
- All patients will be asked about their smoking status upon admission. TSH offers supportive and preventative measures to help patients adapt to a smoke-free environment during their hospital stay.
- Patients and visitors found smoking on hospital grounds will be informed about TSH’s Smoke-Free Policy and asked to refrain from smoking on hospital property.
- Security may issue a Smoking Infraction Notice to anyone found smoking on hospital grounds.
- Public Health bylaw officers regularly patrol within nine metres of the hospital entrances, and you may be fined if you are found smoking.
We are here to help. TSH is committed to the promotion of good health, and offers many resources to assist patients in leading a healthier lifestyle, such as:
- The nicotine patch and gum are available to inpatients at no charge when ordered by a physician to enable patients to remain in their hospital rooms.
- Mental Health outpatients can join TSH’s smoking cessation program and receive the nicotine patch, gum, and/or inhaler for free.
- Nicotine replacements are available over the counter at the pharmacies at the General and Birchmount campuses for all other outpatients and visitors.
- Information from a variety of organizations that can aid in smoking cessation (such as the Canadian Cancer Society Smokers’ Helpline and Smoke-Free Ontario) is available in the Global Community Resource Centre at the General campus.
Thank you for your co-operation in making TSH a smoke-free environment.