The Scarborough Hospital (TSH) has been selected as one of Canada’s Best Diversity Employers for 2016 in the Canada’s Top 100 Employers competition.
“Congratulations go out to the entire team at TSH for this truly exceptional honour,” said Robert Biron, President and CEO of TSH.
“Our staff, physicians, volunteers, and partners have worked hard to make diversity, equity, and inclusion a fundamental part of how we operate at TSH. This in turn allows us to improve patient experiences and patient outcomes by deeply understanding each person’s unique needs.”
Rhonda Lewis, Vice President of Human Resources and Patient Relations at TSH, adds that the hospital “was one of the first in Ontario to dedicate a department and a director to meet the needs of our diverse community over twenty years ago. Today, the hospital’s Vision is ‘to be recognized as Canada’s leader in providing the best health care for a global community.’ Diversity, equity, and inclusion are also key priorities within our strategic plan.”
This steadfast dedication has contributed to a great number of successful initiatives for staff, physicians, volunteers, patients, and families, including:
- A dynamic curriculum for staff around diversity, equity, and inclusion, including mandatory training for management on how to lead a diverse workforce.
- A dramatic rise in employee engagement scores in the hospital’s Employee Opinion Survey, which now exceed Ontario Hospital Association levels. Diversity is identified as a key strength by staff in these surveys.
- The opening of the innovative Global Community Resource Centre in 2012 in partnership with community agencies in Scarborough to support patients and families with increased health literacy and better access to community services.
- A comprehensive interpretation program for patients, including full-time interpreters at the General and Birchmount campuses and telephone interpretation available 24/7 in all clinical areas in over 200 languages.
- Leading more than 1,000 community outreach and engagement activities since 2009 to help the community better understand their health care options, navigate services, and provide input on hospital programs and services.
In 2015, TSH also received national recognition for its efforts to create and promote diversity and inclusion as the recipient of the 2015 National Excellence in Diversity and Inclusion Award from the Canadian College of Health Leaders.
Now entering its 10th year, the Canada’s Best Diversity Employers competition recognizes the nation’s leaders in creating inclusive workplaces for employees from five diverse groups: women; visible minorities; persons with disabilities; Aboriginal peoples; and lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) peoples. Employers are selected by the editors at Mediacorp Canada Inc. based on submissions to the annual Canada’s Top 100 Employers project, which has been published annually since 1999.
This year’s winners were announced today in a special magazine published in The Globe and Mail. An online magazine incorporates additional photos, stories, and testimonials from the winners. Detailed reasons for TSH’s selection as one of Canada’s Best Diversity Employers can be found at http://content.eluta.ca/top-employer-scarborough-hospital.