At The Scarborough Hospital (TSH), diversity, equity and inclusion are integral to the safe, high quality patient care we deliver every day.
TSH was one of the first hospitals in the province to dedicate a department to meet the changing needs of our community. Diversity took on even greater importance in 2009 with the launch of our new Vision “to be recognized as Canada’s leader in providing the best health care for a global community.”
Since then, diversity, equity and inclusion have become a fundamental part of how we operate at TSH. This steadfast dedication has contributed to a great number of successful initiatives for staff, physicians, volunteers, patients, and families, including:
- A dynamic curriculum for staff around diversity, equity, and inclusion, including mandatory training for management on how to lead a diverse workforce.
- A dramatic rise in employee engagement scores in the hospital’s Employee Opinion Survey, which now exceed Ontario Hospital Association levels. Diversity is identified as a key strength by staff in these surveys.
- The opening of the innovative Global Community Resource Centre in 2012 in partnership with community agencies in Scarborough to support patients and families with increased health literacy and better access to community services.
- A comprehensive interpretation program for patients, including full-time interpreters at the General and Birchmount campuses and telephone interpretation available 24/7 in all clinical areas in over 200 languages.
- Leading more than 1,000 community outreach and engagement activities since 2009 to help the community better understand their health care options, navigate services, and provide input on hospital programs and services.
- The release of the hospital’s first Diversity and Inclusion Report in 2014.
In 2015, TSH received national recognition for our efforts to create and promote diversity and inclusion as the recipient of the National Excellence in Diversity and Inclusion Award from the Canadian College of Health Leaders. And in 2016, the hospital was selected as one of Canada’s Best Diversity Employers in the Canada’s Top 100 Employers competition.
For more information on our Organizational Development and Diversity Department, please email us at email@example.com.