Under the Personal Health Information Protection Act, you have a right of access to your own personal health information.

How do I access my medical record?

Patients requiring copies of their medical records must submit a written request to the hospital where you were treated (Birchmount Campus or General Campus). You can also download the Request Access to Personal Health Information form, complete and submit it to the Health Records Department. Your request will be processed in the shortest time possible, although we have 30 days to respond to any request.

What does it cost to request medical information?

There is an administrative cost for non-medical requests. A pre-payment fee must be submitted with your written request. There is no fee for medical requests.

How do I have my records released to another individual?

If you want your records released to another person, complete the Consent to Disclose Personal Health Information and forward it to the Health Records Department. The consent form must be signed, dated and witnessed.

How do I obtain birth information?

If you require birth information (eg. Proof of birth, time of birth), submit a written request that includes your mother’s full name at the time of your birth. Please note there is an administrative fee for this information.

If you need your birth certificate, you can apply for it online at

How do I obtain records for a deceased patient?

If you require records for deceased patients, please submit a written request with proof of executor or legal signing authority.

For more information on The Scarborough Hospital’s release of information policies and procedures, contact the Health Records Department:

  • Birchmount campus: 416-495-2701, ext. 2532
  • General campus: 416-438-2911, ext. 6445

The release of information office is open Monday to Friday, 8:00 a.m. – 4:00 pm.

Please Note: Health Records Department requires the original signed authorization form in order to complete your request.